Saturday, October 30, 2010

Memorialize This!

I’m pleased to see someone besides me is bugged by these mobile memorials. Every time I see one, I think:

- Why? Isn’t it enough that the person’s dead? Do you really need a constant reminder of their passing every time you see your car from behind or look in your rear-view mirror (assuming you’re not too stupid to read mirrored text).

- “In loving memory of” and “dedicated to” are phrases you usually see on a memorial object, like a library or a memorial. So what the fuck? Is the survivor dedicating their non-descript fucking mini-van to their dearly fucking departed? When I die, I sure as hell hope no one dedicates a mini-van, PT Cruiser, etc. to me!

- The only person I’d like to see memorialized on a car is the person who started this stupid fucking fad.

- Do survivors really think the general public gives a shit about their little Billy? I gots news for ‘em – We don’t.

And while we’re on the topic of rants, why are Hispanics the only ones who regale us with their surnames on the back windows of their vehicles? Being half Mexican, that really baffles me, because I’ve never had that urge….not even partially ;-) Why don’t we see cars with surnames like Jones or Brown in gothic lettering across the back windows of Anglos, Blacks and Asians? I’m just sayin’.

1 comment:

Rimpy Rimpington said...

Nice one, C. A related rant for me are the roadside memorials at the scene of fatal accidents. Someone actual maintains these things. Doesn't the deceased have a grave somewhere where this would be more appropriate? I'm sure their survivors will never forget that that was the spot where so-and-so bit it. Do the rest of us need to be reminded? Maybe I'm just bitter because I used to be the one who scraped up those remains at the time of the accident, so I never get to forget it either. Perhaps the survivors think these memorials will lead to safer driving, and who knows? Maybe they do. I've certainly been more aware of the mortal dangers of driving since my stint as a funeral director. So, okay, rant retracted.